Moving to Tweed (Tweed Minor Hockey Association)

PrintMoving to Tweed


If you are moving to the Municipality of Tweed and want your son or daughter to be eligible to join a team, the following guide will provide a step by step walk through of what’s required.

Tweed is a residence restricted association, and fully abides by OMHA Regulation 3.3 governing that only confirmed residents of Tweed residence shall be eligible to be rostered to a team.:

Please read the instructions in its entirety and follow accordingly.  Applications that are not complete cannot not be processed and will only delay completion.

Step 1: Obtain the necessary documents:

Complete online Residential Transfer Form

Mandatory Documents 

  • Copy of Birth Certificate for Player
  • Copy of Purchase or Rental Agreement (amounts can be blacked out)
  • Copy of Driver’s License with new Address
  • Copy of Home Insurance with new Tweed Address
  • Copy of bills with the new Tweed address (the more the better)
  • Copy of school enrollment confirmation (citing school year): School MUST be in Tweed
  • Notary Public Affidavit in split custody circumstances, with split residence, confirming the player resides within Tweed more than 50% of the time (joint-custody).
    • Note this can also be used as additional documentation in other family or custody orders

Optional Documents (ensure approval)

  • Property Tax bill/statement for new Tweed Address
  • Land Title/Deed

Step 2: Deliver a copy of each document to the TMHA (Full required documentation)

Residency Compliance

This is for information purposes only. For the official OMHA residency rules visit the OMHA web site and go to the Manual of Operations.

If you live in the Municipality of Tweed your residency is compliant, if you don't you may want to take the time to investigate if you have what is termed Right of Choice (you can decide what hockey centre to play for). Keeping in mind this applies to participation in representative hockey league play, representative exhibition games and representative tournaments. Representative being Select, Roster Select, MD, AE, AA.  If you want to play on a centre’s regular house league team, participate in house league tournaments or play exhibition games with other centre’s house league teams your residency is not an issue.

Process for determining residency eligibility
1) In Google Map select get directions
2) Enter your residential address with postal code.
3) Enter your home centre’s Centre Point Address (IE Tweed  Post Office23 Spring St E, Tweed, ON K0K 3J0 , Tweed ON.)
4) Select get directions - distance is calculated and displayed - write this down
5) Enter the home centre in question Centre Point address (see listing)
6) Select get directions - distance is calculated and displayed - write this down

If the difference between your home centre and the next closest hockey centre is less than 8km then the player has Right of Choice and can play in either centre (but only one), if it's not they have to play in the closest centre.


Q. I am moving to Tweed from another centre that is not part of the OMHA (GTHL, out of province, etc.) - does that make a difference?

A. Yes it does! Per OHF regulation E.99, if you are transferring from another hockey centre that is outside of the OMHA, you will also need to submit Hockey Player Residential Form

Q. I am thinking about moving to Tweed, but haven’t settled on a home/condo/rental.  How does this impact me?

A. Your player is not eligible to play Tweed Hockey until you satisfy all documentation requirements outlined above.

Q. We have joint custody of our player, and one parent is in Tweed, the other is not – is my player eligible under this circumstance?

A. As long as you can satisfy all documentation requirements above, including an affidavit that proves more than 50% of the player’s time is spent with the Tweed parent, and the player attends school in the Municipality of Tweed, then the player will be eligible.

Q. My purchased home in Tweed doesn’t close until after the season starts (Sept) – what now?

A. Unfortunately, your player will not be able to participate for that season as per current OMHA regulations.

Q. Can I register before you approve my residency request?

A. No – the Hockey Canada Registry will block all activity by Tweed until such time that the residency request is processed.

Q. I don’t agree with this residency stuff and I am going to file a false move.

A. You should be aware that every Residency/Move request and all documentation is thoroughly investigated by the OMHA, and any false claim or misleading information may result in player suspension for a prolonged period of time, regardless of association (Hockey Canada).

Q. What is the process between the TMHA and the OMHA?  I want to know more.

A. Your documents will be reviewed by the TMHA for completeness, accuracy and format.  Should they pass this preliminary review, the TMHA will upload each document to the player’s permanent member profile on the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR). Once each document has been uploaded and accepted by this secure program, an OMHA representative will review the submission for authenticity and completeness.  The OMHA will then a) approve, b) decline, or c)investigate for possible fraud the move, and will notify the TMHA accordingly.  Once notified, the TMHA will notify the member of the decision and next steps.